Cen64,cycle accurate N64 simulation

Συζήτηση για Console Emulators.

Συντονιστές: Nemo, Maddog, Whacker, Scatman

Απάντηση
Άβαταρ μέλους
Nemo

Cen64,cycle accurate N64 simulation

Δημοσίευση από Nemo »

This is my pet project. It's something I pick up whenever I get bored. To me, what Nintendo and SGI did with this console is nothing short of amazing. The ingenuity and design of the hardware was well-ahead of it's time, and it is an absolute blast to reverse-engineer and study. I started this project in order to learn more about what really went on at the hardware level back in the (good old) days.

That being said, I've also grown tired of people complaining that "cycle accurate simulation on N-gen consoles is impossible." Not to be a bigot, but no, it's not. Is it hard to write a simulator that is capable of running fast enough to emulate a 93.75MHz processor on modern machines? Absolutely. Is it impossible? No, certainly not. It just takes time. Programming is an art, and like anything else, takes time if done well.

Getting back on track: this simulator attempts to be everything that every other emulator hoped to be, but never quite attained due to... emulation. My hopes are the properly simulating things at the cycle and pixel-accurate level will preserve the original fidelity of the work that so many companies put out.

Thank you to every single one of you developers for filling my childhood with excellent memories. I'd also like to thank the community on all their hard work and effort spend reverse-engineering this little gem. Without further ado...
Building:

The build system is, admittedly, a little hacked together. I'd like to get something more maintainable and non-Unix friendly in the future (i.e., CMake). Until then, I only support Makefiles.

For decent performance, your toolchain must absolutely be capable of some kind of link-time optimization. If you use gcc/llvm, the default Makefiles will already attempt to build with this feature. This is especially true when linking all the static library plugins into the final executable; performance will nosedive if the LTO isn't performed due to functions haved to be called several million times per second.

The project has been broken into submodules in order to separate the commit logs for each subsystem. Not only that, but it also is the most-amenable way to handle a project of this (intended) scale. I can easily give members commit access to individual parts of the project, or, I can also redirect one of the default submodules to somebody else's repository altogether.

As of right now, you need ROM dumps from the retail console to run the simulator. The PIF ("BIOS") image performs checksums and security checks on the ROM image and initializes the environment. Please do not consult me on regards to obtaining ROM images; this is illegal is most countries.

Once you obtain the images, simply execute: cen64

All ROM and binary images must be supplied in native (big-endian), or z64 format. Other formats will fail the CRC check and result in the virtual console not booting.

- Update rsp ref. …
* Fix a latent RSP bug.
- Update vr4300 ref.
- Update submodule refs. …
* Several bugfixes.
- Update ref that fixed a RSP bug.
- Update refs; several performance improvements.
- Update README.md per Issue #2.
- Fix build issues, update refs again. …
* Merge latest commits from angrylion.
* Apply micro-optimizations to the VR4300.
- Use pkg-config for flags/libs on nix, update refs.
- Another wave of updates. …
* Overhaul a good chunk of the memory system design.
* Add support for various instructions in VR4300.
* 'Unstick' some games by lying about audio support.
* Squash some bugs.

>>>>> https://github.com/tj90241/cen64
if" Imitation is the sincerest flattery",
imagine emulating ....
Άβαταρ μέλους
Maddog
Master Modelator
Master Modelator
Επικοινωνία:

Re: Cen64,cycle accurate N64 simulation

Δημοσίευση από Maddog »

Θα είναι ενδιαφέρον να δούμε τι θα μπορέσει να καταφέρει ο τύπος.
Αν λάβουμε υπόψη ότι κανένας N64 emulator δεν είναι ακριβώς αυτό που λέμε "άψογος", ας δούμε τι μπορεί να προσφέρει αυτή η προσέγγιση.
Α, και βέβαια αν θα "τραβάει" αρκετά ή θα γονατίζει ακόμα και I7... :|
Παππού όλος ο κόσμος ανησυχεί μήπως η σχέση σου με την πιτσιρίκα αποβεί μοιραία.
-Τι να κάνουμε παιδί μου...αν πεθάνει - πέθανε...
Άβαταρ μέλους
Nemo

Δημοσίευση από Nemo »

if" Imitation is the sincerest flattery",
imagine emulating ....
Άβαταρ μέλους
xalia
L33t P14y3r
L33t P14y3r

Δημοσίευση από xalia »

Έχω ασχοληθεί αρκετά με games του N64 ( να σαι καλά doc ) και κατά την ταπεινή γνώμη το μεγαλύτερο πρόβλημα είναι ο controler! Αυτή η τρίαινα που είχε για χειριστήριο το N64 δεν παίζει εύκολα με τίποτα άλλο! Μετά από πάρα πολλές ώρες Ocarina of Time είχα ξεχάσει ποιο κουμπί κάνει τι. Τελικά το τελείωσα στο Game Cube.

Φαντάζομαι ότι ένα καλό και σύγχρονο game pad θα λύνει τα παραπάνω προβλήματα αλλά δεν έτυχε να δοκιμάσω ποτέ.
reboot
--------
Απάντηση